apple parmesan pie
Before you disregard this recipe – give it a chance! Haha I know it sounds a little odd…the classic cheese apple pie taken a step further with parmesan. I was very skeptical about it when I saw Giada make it on her show, but I have found I can trust Giada :) and this was no exception! It’s definitely different, but in a fabulous way…like vanilla ice cream with good olive oil on top, if you catch my gist. It’s not too hard but it tastes so gourmet and delicious!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ice water
2 pounds apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch wedges
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chill the bowl and blade of a food processor for 1 hour before starting.
- For the dough: To the food processor, add the flour and salt and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter and the cheese and pulse 3 or 4 times or until chickpea-sized pieces of butter remain. With the machine running, drizzle in the ice water until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a flat disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 2 days.
- Position an oven rack on the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt and cinnamon. Toss well to coat evenly.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out one of the dough pieces to an approximately 11-inch round and line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture. Roll out the remaining dough into another 11-inch round and place on top. Trim the edges so there is a 1/2-inch overhang around the plate. Tuck the overhang under itself and press down to seal the edge. Using 2 knuckles and the tip of your finger, crimp the edges to make a decorative edge. Cut an X in the center of the top pie crust and open the corners to make a small hole in the center of the pie. Brush the pie evenly with the egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the crust is deep golden brown and the mixture inside is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool for at least 2 hours before serving.