Introducing Reagan Kate Rigby

“Every child begins the world again…”
– Henry David Thoreau

I will never be over the experience of having a baby.
I have no words, and also so many. Even through 9 months of
growing a little one and preparing for this, nothing truly felt real
until the moment I saw this little girl and the world stopped. Leading
up to the birth I was anxious and could not imagine how it would all
happen & work out to finally get her here. All I can say is that it was so
different and so much better than I could have expected. It was scary
and amazing and out of body and so so beautiful. I know how very lucky
we are to have experienced this and gotten the very best gift possible!
Processed with VSCO with f2 presetHere’s our little beauty ^^ Reagan Kate Rigby!
Born on July 18th, 2016 at 9:40 PM.
7 lbs 10 ounces, and 20.5 inches long.
She’s perfect and we’re in love.
As for the story…

After getting a few different due dates in different countries while living
abroad, we had a little range and had no idea when baby would really come.
My mom arrived in town from South Africa on Friday the 15th, and there was
no baby yet! We had such a fun weekend together showing her the neighborhood,
hanging out with friends, eating out, hiking, biking, getting a visit from my cousin
and aunt, running errands, and just getting caught up + spending time together.

I was so glad baby had waited for her to come, but also didn’t want it to be too
long now that my mom had arrived and we had people coming in town! We were
active all weekend, went to church Sunday and my mom made us an amazing
dinner before we went to bed. We made plans for Monday and said goodnight!
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset
I woke up a few hours later at 2 AM (early Monday morning) to pain and contractions. I
wasn’t
positive if it was the real deal, but I definitely hadn’t felt anything like these
ones before.
I woke Chase up and we started tracking them in an app. They were 10
minutes apart, then 9, 8,
7, 6, etc. After 40 minutes of tracking the app said to go to
the hospital! I still wasn’t positive because they weren’t killing me, just consistent.
We went out and woke up my mom and tracked them some more, then started to
get our bags together and pack up some last things. It felt like a movie as we all 3
got in the car at 4:30 AM and headed to the hospital!! Luckily there was no traffic :)
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset
We got to the hospital at Stanford and I was admitted. I was starting to doubt whether
I was really in labor, and was so worried I would be one of the “false alarm” people.
I got hooked up to monitors and we waited over an hour while things were tracked…
my mom and Chase and I were chatting and I was so distracted that I wasn’t positive
if I was even still having contractions regularly! Finally the doctor came in to check
and to our surprise she said I was having contractions less than 5 minutes apart, was
3 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced (didn’t even know what that was ) and for

sure in early labor. She said first-time labors usually dilate slowly, so I could either
choose to check in and get all hooked into an IV etc. right then, or go walk around
the campus and get some breakfast before coming back. We decided to take option
B and speed things up on our own, so we went to hike the Stanford Dish and did
4 miles together on the prettiest morning! It was such a fun memory and by the
end I was needing to stop and wait while each contraction came. It was definitely a
memory to do a hike while in labor! :) We’ll have to hike this on her birthday each year!
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset^^ Such a beautiful golden California summer morning. After The Dish we stopped
and got a yummy breakfast
together (I had a pineapple ginger smoothie, scramble,
and parfait to fuel up) and the contractions were starting to be more noticeable.

desktop2
We headed back to the hospital around 11:30 AM to see if I’d made progress.
They did a quick check and
said I was now at 5 cm and 100% effaced
so it was time to get all checked in and ready to go.
It started to feel
real that we really were having a baby, and probably that day!
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset Processed with VSCO with f2 preset ^^ I called my Dad in SA to give him the update! He always
gives the best pep talks, even from 10,000 miles away.
We also called family now that we knew it was happening.
(PS that’s a monitor strapped on my belly under the gown :)

Version 2We met our cutest nurse Krista and saw our doctor Colleen who we love ^^ and

got things going with an IV. A few hours later I got an epidural because I was
just planning on it from the beginning, so it was nice to do right as contractions
were coming on stronger. Then I was able to relax in the room and wait! I got the
perfect dose because I could feel each contraction, but not strong at all. I even
dozed off a little bit. Around 5pm Chase and my mom went to grab dinner at
Chipotle, and I joked as they left to stay close and keep their phones! While
they were out my water broke on its own, and the doctor came in and said I
was getting close. I called my mom and Chase and couldn’t reach them for
a little, haha! I was laughing thinking if they missed the birth because
they were at Chipotle ;) but I wasn’t worried because I knew we still had
a few hours. They finally rushed back so worried, and we had a good laugh!
Later I was checked one last time and fully dilated, so it was time to push!
That was another surreal moment where we just realized it was happening.
We didn’t take one class, so I was learning pushing technique as I went.
Chase and my mom were in the room which was such a help! I wasn’t
sure how I’d feel about it, but the second we started pushing I was so
happy to have them both … and needed them! Chase was seriously
amazing and was the best and cutest labor coach through it all.
Processed with VSCO with f2 presetHe was right there with the nurse, asked her if he could do the counting
to 10 during each push, telling me I looked beautiful (ha), saying how
he could see her little blonde head and to get her here, etc. My mom was
at my head holding my hand and seriously doing each push with me it
felt like. I pushed for an hour before the final pushes, so she had to get
creative with her encouragements. At one point she actually said during
a push “spike it like a volleyball!” because I used to play in high school.
Haha I laughed so hard and had to write that down to remember. Classic.
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset IMG_3887After an hour of pushing, the epidural was lessening and I could feel
contractions racking my body SO strong through my back. I started to feel
like I had no more energy and wonder how I could ever do the rest. We did
a major push where I could feel things more, and it must have pushed the head
close enough because the nurse grabbed the phone, called the doctor and said
“come to room 9– we’re having a baby!” THAT was definitely the most memorable
moment where I just got chills and all of us got SO excited. I knew we would meet
her any moment, that all the work would pay off, and our sweet girl would be here.
I started crying and this is when the “out-of-body” experience that you hear about
really set in. I looked around at our incredible doctor, resident, nurses, my mom,
and of course my husband and knew I could do this! We did a few sets and I was
getting so exhausted/overwhelmed at what was happening. I closed my eyes and
pushed as hard as I could and suddenly felt the head — and the rest of her body —
come out and into the world. It was the craziest feeling ever to suddenly feel her
move outside of my body. We heard her darling cry and saw her perfect body as
Chase cut the cord and they put her right on my chest. We were all teary and in
disbelief and it was the best reward possible. The doctors delivered the placenta
and did stitches and I didn’t even notice either thing because this little angel was
wiggling and snuggling on my chest and we were all just smitten from the start.
There’s nothing on earth like the moment of seeing your first baby. I’ll never forget it.
I couldn’t believe how smoothly things went compared to what I had imagined
and expected. Even though it was scary and unknown and definitely hard, it
was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever experienced and I feel lucky to have even
had the chance to. I’d do it again ten times over for the amazing feeling of
heaven being nearby. Some pictures are below that Chase and my mom took.

Baby Reagan is such a miracle and we do not take it for granted that she is
here happy and healthy. I never want to forget the details of this day that
our lives changed forever. I couldn’t have scripted it better! Photos below..IMG_3841Version 2IMG_3971IMG_3968IMG_4129Version 2IMG_3976IMG_3943Version 2Version 2Version 2Version 2Version 2IMG_3977 IMG_4102IMG_3956My darling dad had to stay in South Africa as a mission president,
but he was so tuned in and up early his time to get the updates.
I asked my mom to FaceTime him after she was born so he could be
part of it, and his reaction was so priceless and sweet. He immediately
started to cry so hard when he saw her. We felt his definite presence & love!
I’m so glad Chase caught his reaction in a picture so I can show her one day.

IMG_3953Processed with VSCO with f2 presetMy family was on a group text getting updates, and my sister-in-law
Mindy sent this picture from Salt Lake right when I began pushing.
I love it because it shows the heavens opening for our little angel! ^^
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset“We did it!!” ^^

IMG_4055 (1)Right after labor Chase had a little present wrapped up for me to open.
He had taken his “push present” duty seriously and found me exactly
what I wanted: a simple gold band to add to my wedding ring and
represent our new little golden girl. I want a new band for each child!

IMG_4052Chase’s parents had flowers delivered within hours, and were so
tuned in as well! They’ll come meet her in a few weeks since Chase’s
sister also just had a baby & my mom was here to help us right now.
IMG_4045Reagan got all of her ID bands and we got ready for bed!
I truly have never felt exhaustion like that, or euphoria like it.

IMG_4044I’m pretty sure I just mostly stared at her all night but we did get a wink of sleep.
IMG_4126Longest little feet! ^^
IMG_3980Chase was teary all night after her birth. So sweet.
BIRTH!!!8Little blondie getting weighed and measured! ^^
IMG_3978 Processed with VSCO with f2 presetAlready one very smitten dad ^^
Processed with VSCO with f2 presetAnd one tired grandma Linny! She was such a champ, still being jet lagged
from South Africa and being up for 24 hours with us through start to finish.
Processed with VSCO with b5 presethospital “A new baby is like the beginning of all things –
wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” -Eda LeShan

Amen to that! Thank you for all of the love sent our way!
We couldn’t feel more grateful. Lots more photos on the way.

See a video leading up to her birth HERE:

and our bump around the world vid from my insta HERE.

'Introducing Reagan Kate Rigby' has 40 comments

1. July 24, 2016 @ 4:26 pm Hannah Lewis

Okay this whole post is emotional and lovely, but the picture of your dad on FaceTime did me in. Tears!! So happy for you and the whole family. Thanks for sharing this – so thrilled baby Reagan is here!

July 25, 2016 @ 12:54 pm emi

ahh me too! it kills me every time :) thanks for your love!

July 25, 2016 @ 12:55 pm emi

you’re the sweetest! thank you thank you!

2. July 24, 2016 @ 4:43 pm Lauren Bee

She is perfect :) Congratulations xx

July 25, 2016 @ 12:55 pm emi

♥♥♥♥♥

3. July 24, 2016 @ 5:48 pm Katie

Loooooveee thissss!! CONGRATS!! I loled in my living room at the idea of you walking The Dish while you were in labor. Perfect! These pictures are great too. Love the name you chose! Also I already hate Chipotle and would have been extra resentful in your behalf if they hadn’t made it back in time hahah

July 25, 2016 @ 12:56 pm emi

hahaha laughing so hard at all of this! seriously i would have boycotted chipotle if it had made them miss it :) miss you! come visit us soon! ♥

4. July 24, 2016 @ 5:55 pm Emily

Is it weird that I don’t even know you in person and this post gave me chills and made me a little teary? Your story is the sweetest. So happy for you and your now family of 3! xoxo

July 25, 2016 @ 12:57 pm emi

you are so cute. we need to get together now that we’re back out here! XOXO

5. July 24, 2016 @ 6:33 pm Courtney

She is absolutely perfect. I love that you went on a hike that morning and that Chase and your mom were at Chipotle when your water broke. I didn’t get teary until the picture of your dad on FaceTime, that will have to be my dad too and I get emotional just thinking about it.

July 25, 2016 @ 12:57 pm emi

I am just SO excited for you now! Best thing ever!!!!!

6. July 24, 2016 @ 7:39 pm Sam

This made me cry!! You two are such amazing parents and such good examples for us!! We love you!!!

July 25, 2016 @ 12:58 pm emi

ahhh love ♥♥♥ you so much!

7. July 24, 2016 @ 9:04 pm Lucy R Larsen

Congratulations! Such a beautiful little girl! <3

July 25, 2016 @ 12:59 pm emi

Thank you! I love that we had dinner with you guys in Amsterdam the night we found out it was a girl! :) xoox

8. July 25, 2016 @ 7:19 am Cristie

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing and letting us be a part of your beautiful journey. She is so precious. Definitely made me teary as well! All the best!

July 25, 2016 @ 12:59 pm emi

Thank you! So sweet! ♥♥

9. July 25, 2016 @ 10:47 am Stephany

So sweet, I’m so glad you had a great experience! Giving birth is truly beautiful and amazing and just the most awesome feeling!

July 25, 2016 @ 1:01 pm emi

Agreed! I can’t believe how amazing it was since I was prepared for it to be terrible and so scary! So special ♥♥ xo

10. July 25, 2016 @ 12:12 pm Hannah Hartshorn

That picture of your dad seriously made me tear up! So sweet. Congratulations on your brand new baby girl!

July 25, 2016 @ 1:01 pm emi

me too, every time! :) thank you so much!!

11. July 25, 2016 @ 3:25 pm cristie c carter

sweet dear…i am thrilled to pieces for your joy. this is just the beginning. xox

July 26, 2016 @ 1:48 pm emi

thank you thank you!! xo

12. July 25, 2016 @ 3:30 pm Rachel

I’m SO SO excited for you guys!! She’s so beautiful, and I’m glad it went smoother than you expected :) Your dad’s reaction to meeting her is the best!

July 26, 2016 @ 1:49 pm emi

I know, I’m glad it was smoother than expected too :) haha thank you!!

13. July 25, 2016 @ 5:35 pm Katie @ Katie Wanders

Congratulations Emi! She is beautiful and of course you look like a beautiful proud mama! Congrats and welcome to the world little one!

Katie @ http://www.KatieWanders.com

July 26, 2016 @ 1:56 pm emi

thank you cutest katie!!

14. July 25, 2016 @ 7:55 pm Sara F

Congratulations! I don’t think I’ve commented before, but I’ve been following your blog since your wedding, and have been so anticipating the arrival of your little girl! She’s beautiful-love her blonde hair ☺️ You will make terrific parents and I look forward to reading about your many new and exciting adventures ahead! ❤️

July 26, 2016 @ 1:50 pm emi

This means so much! Thank you for commenting :) and for your sweet words! xox

15. July 26, 2016 @ 6:04 am Mara

Birth stories are the best stories. So much amazing strength and beauty and special sweet tender moments. babies are true miracles! So glad it all went well for you and hope you’re feeling ok and getting some sleep. Xo

July 26, 2016 @ 1:51 pm emi

I agree! I get teary hearing about any birth, and even more so now after having been through it. Now I feel like in some small way, I get it! ♥♥♥

16. July 27, 2016 @ 7:55 pm Laura

She is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

17. July 28, 2016 @ 10:03 am Lisa Kinney

Congrats! A baby fresh from heaven is the greatest gift. Enjoy each and every moment. Our first grand baby is 8 months old and she is growing so fast. Every day is precious with her. I love that your mother was able to be there when the doors of heaven opened to send down your first of many angels. We have a family friend serving a mission with your parents. Tallen Wardle. Thank your mom for taking such great care of him.

18. July 28, 2016 @ 12:26 pm kristen

oh my goodness, congrats you guys! she is so, so precious. look at those little hands and feet. adorable. congrats!!

19. July 30, 2016 @ 2:34 pm Jen

Congrats! She is beautiful! You both are glowing! I’m totally in tears over your beautiful birth story. Way to go, mama! Hope you’re recovering well. XO

20. August 3, 2016 @ 9:12 pm tara

She is seriously the most darling, sweet little thing. I will never forget walking into your apartment and seeing her on the floor in her little bassinet and actually thinking it was a doll in there!!!! Like, actually a doll. But of course you and chase would have the cutest baby ever!
    Xo, tara

21. August 4, 2016 @ 1:17 pm Kaitlin @ California Endless Summer

Congrats to one adorable baby and family!

22. August 8, 2016 @ 8:32 pm Laura

That video is THE BEST!! I couldn’t contain my tears! haha Congrats again to you guys!

23. August 23, 2016 @ 8:39 pm Wendy Valderrama

I’m so behind the news!! I’ve followed on IG, but missed all these gorgeous photos and stories. In so so happy for you all, and just read every word of the blast month’s posts, but had to end here again-what an incredible gift to have so many photos of these first moments-they’re all a blur afterwards, these photos will be irreplaceable as the years go by. Congratulations to the whole Rigby & Dunn clan. Much love!

well-traveled wife © 2015. all rights reserved.