hiking preikestolen: pulpit rock

“hei hei” from norway!!
we’re starting off this country with a bang – we landed in stavanger
and immediately boarded a ferry to a bus to head onto one of
the best hikes of our life: preikestolen’s pulpit rock. W-O-W.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
i can’t even find words for this breathtaking hike –
it was everything we imagined norway would be and more.
i love that it was our very first taste of this country fresh off the plane.
IMG_0030norwegians know how to hike. the trails are so well-marked and
well-kept, and it’s just a way of life! there is a norwegian saying we
learned which translates to “out on a hike, never unhappy.” :) :)
IMG_9995sorry dad, i know you won’t like this pic so much! ^^^ ;)
 lots of pictures and descriptions of the hike are below the vlog!
watch here for some pretty amazing drone footage first:

now that you have a feel for the hike and views, here is some background.
it was supposed to be pouring rain, but we
waited it out in the base cabin
and started the hike a bit later, making it to the
top right when the
rain stopped and sun broke! we think this is a
must when in
norway, and it wasn’t too tricky to get to from stavanger.
IMG_9952we took the flybussen bus from the stavanger airport into city
center, dropped our bags at our comfort square hotel, and we were off
to the ferry! we crossed to tau and caught the tide bus to priekestolen
fjellstue. it’s all reasonable, reliable, and smooth. i think it’s easier
to take these means of public transport rather than rent a car here.
IMG_9844waiting out at the base cabin (where we plan to return and stay next time!)

chase passed time by getting some time lapses of the fast-moving clouds.
IMG_9852i passed time by soaking in the prettiest, brightest wildflowers ^^
IMG_9853we looked at the hour-by-hour weather, and decided it was time to
start our hike up so we could be at the top at a good time ^^
preikestolen hikehappy hikers! ^^
IMG_9876the hike itself just kept getting prettier. lots of waterfalls, moss,
greenery, rocks, and incredible views the higher we climbed ^^
nearing the top, and dying over the views already!
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 presetIMG_2238IMG_9904
IMG_0017IMG_9939we summited and came within view of
pulpit rock – there she is behind us! ^^
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
after patiently waiting, we got some pretty amazing photos
out here on the ledge! if you are willing to swap with someone
else and take each other’s photos, you can get some great ones here.

IMG_0005i spy chase!! at the time, this wasn’t even scary to me – but
everyone’s reactions to these pictures makes me look at them
now and think .. how were we doing that so casually?!
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset IMG_9956 and, how were we doing this so casually?!

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 presetit really was the coolest view looking straight down thousands of feet.
preikestolen hike5hello norway!!!!
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset like i said here, the best thing to hold onto in life is each
other … especially when on top of a norwegian cliff!!
Preikestolen pulpit-rock
IMG_9971taking one last look at those views…
IMG_9984IMG_9914
IMG_9986and we began our descent down before the next rainstorm hit.
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset i LOVED this incredible hike and day with my sweetheart.
top 3 hikes of life, up there with the grand teton and half dome.

preikestolen hike6^^ we got a hot chocolate in the lodge (and took a pic of our
hike route) before catching the tide bus back to the ferry!

back to stavanger we went after a successful day of hiking.
we were tired, but happy…and already in love with norway!

lots more to come from the most incredible place we’ve been.

'hiking preikestolen: pulpit rock' has 15 comments

1. July 28, 2015 @ 3:28 pm Katie @ Katie Wanders

Yep- absolutely obsessed with these pictures! And loving the v logs! I have been taking SOOO much go pro footage and it sits on my computer. I need to stop being lazy and put it all together!

Amazing video and pictures and you two are brave on the edge of that rock!

Thanks for sharing!

2. July 28, 2015 @ 3:37 pm Hannah

Emi I have just been loving all of these Europe posts sooo much, and this one might be my favorite so far! That view is absolutely incredible, I mean breathtaking! I would been freakin scared to death though to go to the edge of that rock and there you are sitting on the ledge taking pictures haha, you are a brave woman!

3. July 28, 2015 @ 6:48 pm mara

i imagine it is different when you’re up there, but those pictures and video give me serious anxiety just looking at them!! eek. looks absolutely amazing. can i just say i am so glad you guys are doing this. is that weird to say?!? haha. i just think of my crazy life right now (both hubby and i working full time, raising a 21 month old and another little one on the way) and how little time it feels like we have together just me and him anymore. this trip totally makes me jealous in the be-with-your-love-every-second-every-day kinda way, just traveling and living life to the fullest :) good for you guys.

4. July 28, 2015 @ 10:19 pm Kari

Okay – that just went on the bucket list!!

5. July 28, 2015 @ 10:53 pm Deepti @ Endless Postcards

SO beautiful — I would be terrified but with a view like that, I think all the terror would be worth it. Was the 2 hour hike a difficult one? Definitely interested in doing this myself someday!

6. July 28, 2015 @ 11:13 pm Mindy

Favorite Europe post yet! Incredible.

7. July 29, 2015 @ 1:23 am Linda

This is the most amazing hike…especially for a lover of hiking! I can’t believe how stunning everything is about this place. I love the drone footage the most. Amazing job, Chase!

8. July 29, 2015 @ 6:00 am Sandy M

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous!!!! What an amazing journey you are on…..as I sit here at my desk….when you two start having kids and need a nanny, please let me know!

9. July 29, 2015 @ 7:10 am Kaitlin

Reading these posts and hearing about these adventures inspires me to take my own! You two are so much fun!

July 30, 2015 @ 4:36 am emi

haha good! i hope so!! xo

10. July 29, 2015 @ 7:27 am Brittany

Those views are absolutely remarkable. I can’t even imagine what it must have looked like in-person! I would have been absolutely terrified to sit on the edge. My hands are sweating just looking the pictures!!

11. July 29, 2015 @ 4:33 pm bri

that hike looks AMAZING! I LOVE coming to your blog! You have amazing style! Keep up the great work xoxo

Love,
    Bri

12. August 9, 2015 @ 5:23 pm Steph

Love love love these pictures! You two always look like you’re having the best time!! Super jealous of all your European travels, I definitely need to take the time to see more of my home continent!

13. September 30, 2015 @ 11:22 am Maddy

OH MY GOODNESS. This hike looks absolutely amazing! I was in Norway back in April and did some AMAZING hikes, but we weren’t able to do this one because there was still too much snow. You’ve convinced me that I must go back.
    Your photos are incredible and I am loving the photos of you and your husband – too cute! :)

– Maddy @ http://www.travelalphas.com

well-traveled wife © 2015. all rights reserved.