1. go out in the morning before your day starts. schedules can be full on a trip, and things can change during the day…so by going for a run / walk in the morning, you’ll make sure to fit in some exercise, wake yourself up, and get energy for the rest of the day.
2. eat a healthy breakfast! we love eating treats all day and trying things on trips, but we try to have a healthy breakfast that will fuel us for the day. i love to find a juice bar, fruit from a local market, or even just some oatmeal to start the day.
3. use exercise as a form of sightseeing. eating is one of the best parts of travel, but if you are active on your trips then the food is just your fuel as you bike, hike, walk, and run around new places! we love using runs to sightsee in the mornings — it makes the run fun because you are taking in new sights, and you get a feel for the new place while working out!
4. pack smart — bring comfortable clothes that you can be active in and walk around in.
6. bring healthy snacks. i always get hungry when i’m out and about exploring a new place, so i like to have a bag of almonds or some fruit with me so that i can keep going and feel good.
7. sleep is not my biggest priority when traveling because i figure i am only there once and can sleep on the way home, but it is important to prioritize it and make sure you’re getting enough rest so that you don’t get sick — that will defeat the entire purpose. give your body some type of structure and try to adjust to jet lag / different time zones as best as you can.
8. hand sanitizer is one of my favorite things…i may be a little too obsessed! but, it is so nice to have a mini bottle with you at all times, no matter where you are. when traveling you are always touring things, touching railings, holding onto subway poles, etc. germs are everywhere! i love to have hand sanitizer so that when we get a treat or have a meal or take a break i can keep my hands clean.
9. be smart about the place you’re traveling: make sure you’re aware of whether or not the water is drinkable, if you need immunization, and which foods to avoid. if you have a weak stomach, make sure to take things slow and eat simple things at first so that you’re not sick the first day in.
10. drink WATER! hyrdating and travel go hand in hand. i have learned this so many times the hard way. flying dehydrates us, walking dehydrates us, we forget to drink water, and we need it. i feel one million times better when i carry a bottle of water around and drink up so that i feel good and can enjoy my trip!