my parents are moving to….

BIG news!
a few weeks ago i hinted here that some
changes were coming in my family…well,
my parents are moving to
johannesburg, south africa.
they have been called by our church to be
mission presidents there, and they will be
leaving on july 1st for 3 years. it is a major change,
but such an honor for them and i am so proud that
they are willing to leave their jobs, salaries, home,
life, grandkids, and go do such an amazing thing.
they will be incredible. it is definitely bittersweet
for our family + friends, but we know that it’s
what they are supposed to be doing and luckily..
it will be an incredible place to travel to and visit
over the next 3 years! {bonus– there is a google
office there too!} it’s also not as hard since we
already live away, but now they will just be
a lot further…but we are so proud and happy
for them! love you guys so much, here’s
to lots of visits and fun before july…
and then some fun visits to SA!
^^ fitting quote, especially since
when you see who it’s by.
these two have always lived life to the
fullest and that is continuing now!
they were asked months ago, and kept this a secret until
after christmas when my whole family went to deer valley
for a ski trip. the first night, my parents said they had
one more gift for all of us, and they gave us a 2014 calendar
made with pictures of our family throughout it. as we looked
through it, we got to july and on the 1st it said
“president and sister dunn leave on a mission!” ..and the picture
was their church news official photo. chase and i saw it first, and
about died! we waited for my siblings to find it, and it was so exciting.
they said they would know the place in february, and had us all guess
where we thought they would go. after we were done with the guessing
game, i said i wish we could just know now! my dad smiled and said..
you do? well, our call came early and we have it!! we couldn’t believe it
and immediately asked WHERE?!?!? and they said they hadn’t even
opened it themselves yet!!!! they had been waiting 2 weeks to
open it with all of us. the surprises kept coming!! so, they opened
their call and read that they are going to johannesburg, south africa
it is all so crazy but so exciting.

we made a little video of them opening their call with all of us…
congrats to my cute parents!

can’t wait to visit this place…
^^ and hopefully see some of these :)

my parents have a a true adventure ahead and
the missionaries who are called to johannesburg will
be so lucky to have them. they will be in charge of
an entire group of young missionaries, and
 everyone i know who has served missions are still so
close to their mission presidents, because they always
have a huge impact on their life. they will be amazing.
to see more about our church, click here.
^^these kiddos will miss their
ya-ya and papa bear!
…and so will all of us.

love you, mom & dad!
here’s to lots of visits to south africa in the next 3 years!

'my parents are moving to….' has 28 comments

1. January 14, 2014 @ 11:14 am Lulu G

How exciting and brave! What an experience they will have. : )

Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

2. January 14, 2014 @ 1:10 pm Katie Arruda

what amazing and fun news! and what an amazing place to go visit- South Africa is on my bucket list! Hope they have a wonderful time !

3. January 14, 2014 @ 3:14 pm Ann Bates

How exciting!! I read the new list of mission presidents over the weekend in The Church News and thought that was your dad! They are going to have such a wonderful experience. My uncle was a mission president a few years back and still teaches us all lots from his experiences. I’d love to visit South Africa!

4. January 14, 2014 @ 3:44 pm Kate at Green Fashionista

Such an amazing opportunity for your parents. My thoughts and prayers will be with them for the next 3 years and can’t wait to see your recap of visits over there :)

5. January 14, 2014 @ 4:03 pm Kelsey Eaton

Ahh!! That is so great! What an exciting adventure that will be! What a blessing!!

6. January 14, 2014 @ 4:17 pm Kaylee and Clark

Wow, how amazing and what a surprise! Such a sweet movie you made for your parents :) :)

7. January 14, 2014 @ 5:56 pm Kelsey Keller Weller

So great! My friend’s parents just got called to South Africa too.

• January 14, 2014 @ 7:25 pm emi

really! which mission?

8. January 14, 2014 @ 6:15 pm Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre

Oh my gosh how exciting!!! I am sure they will not have to twist your arm to visit!!!

9. January 14, 2014 @ 6:59 pm Lisa Loves John

That is SO exciting!! I lived in Durban, South Africa for 6 months and it was incredible… your parents will have quite an adventure! :)

• January 14, 2014 @ 7:26 pm emi

that’s amazing– i will need to hear more! xo

10. January 14, 2014 @ 7:38 pm Laura

I saw this through Heidi Wheatly. I don’t know you, but it was so special to see your parents open their call, as they will be my sons Mission President in South Africa. It was special to see a glimpse of who will be there taking care of him. Thanks for sharing the video, even if it wasn’t meant for me. It meant a lot. He will have been there a year when they get there. He LOVES it down there. Says he would trade all his Basketball awards and everything to stay there. I’m excited for them, and for him!

• January 14, 2014 @ 7:58 pm emi

that is so amazing!! it WAS meant for you to see! i might be biased, but they are the BEST and i’m excited that your son will be there when they get there! amazing. thank you so much for commenting, that meant so much! we can’t wait to visit and experience joburg! XO

11. January 14, 2014 @ 9:00 pm nixiberry

WOW!! How exciting! My mum currently lives in Cape Town in SA and i’ll be going out there later this month. Truly a beautiful country with some amazing childhood memories for me. I am sure they will be warned of some of the big dangers, though. All the best to them for this journey :) they seem like wonderful and inspiring people x

• January 14, 2014 @ 9:16 pm emi

oh my goodness, WHAT? i can’t believe she lives there! what is she doing in cape town? yes, they have been told about all the dangers and volatility of the country, but luckily their house will be in a really nice area and hopefully they will be safe! i can’t wait to hear about your adventures later this month! XO

12. January 14, 2014 @ 9:43 pm Jen

This is so exciting and I absolutely love this video! :)

13. January 15, 2014 @ 1:48 am BLovedBoston

What a wonderful adventure and experience!! Can’t wait for the post detailing your travels there!! :)

14. January 15, 2014 @ 2:25 am Chelsey

wow! how neat for your parents!! they will seriously be the best mission presidents, those missionaries are SO lucky to have them. I am sure you’re visits there will be amazing.
    Chelsey

15. January 15, 2014 @ 2:50 pm Nicole

This comment has been removed by the author.

16. January 15, 2014 @ 2:51 pm Nicole

What a cool experience for your parents! I’ve been living in Johannesburg, SA for the past 4 months and I’ve had nothing but fun experiences and adventures! Wishing them safe travels and a fulfilling mission. http://www.peacelovegiraffes.com

• January 15, 2014 @ 3:59 pm emi

no way! this makes me so happy and i am sending them your blog right now…and stalking it myself to see all that you’ve done! can’t wait to visit joburg! xo

17. January 15, 2014 @ 7:11 pm sarah

Wow this is so exciting! Congrats to your parents! And what a cool little video to remember that moment. My husband and I definitely want to serve together someday!

18. January 16, 2014 @ 1:28 am pieceofcaitlin

OMG how amazing, and that video! your parents are amazing and will do such great things.

cait @apieceofcait.wordpress.com

19. January 16, 2014 @ 4:20 pm emj

Will they be speaking in church as a farewell of sorts? I am living in the Salt Lake area and would love to hear them speak.

• January 16, 2014 @ 4:23 pm emi

yes! their farewell will be in june before they leave in july– we don’t know the date yet, but i’m planning to fly home for it as well!

20. January 17, 2014 @ 2:24 pm emj

I have to tell you what happened last night. I met your Mom in the flesh last night. This is such a small world we live in. She was at the Hunstman Center ticket window next to mine. I asked her if she was your Mom. I knew it was her. :) We had a little chat as we walked in. I thought it was so funny I met her last night after posting my comment above just yesterday. This is such a small world we live in.

• January 17, 2014 @ 3:09 pm emi

she told me!!! love it! crazy coincidence. XOXO

21. January 24, 2014 @ 10:15 am Sara Louise

How incredible! Your parents must feel so honored and excited, and bonus… you get to visit South Africa! :)

well-traveled wife © 2015. all rights reserved.