green smoothie + healthy shake

green smoothies = our breakfast every single morning.
i call them liquid gold, because that is what they are for your body!
here is what we put in our green smoothie: what do you put in yours?
keep reading for our recipe and video!
green smoothie recipe

-1 banana

-1 whole apple
-1 large carrot
-a few strawberries
-slices of mango/ pineapple/ peach depending on what i have
-2 handfuls spinach
-2 handfuls kale
-filtered water/ or almond milk
-ice cubes
-greek yogurt {optional}
-cucumber slices or celery {i have to add these sneakily, husband doesn’t like them so much}
-lemon juice
1/2 cup dry oatmeal {makes it more filling!}

i blend this up every morning, pour it in our blender bottles, and off to work we go!
^^ this is a little vine video of our daily morning routine: making a green smoothie,
bottling it up in a shaker bottle, and drinking it on the way to work. it has become
a staple in our daily breakfast, to the point where i can’t live without it.
during trips or on days when we can’t make it, i don’t feel the same! ^^

—————

…also, when we want a healthy treat at night, we pull out the blender again and
love this healthy little shake. we put in:
–a spoonful {or 2} of peanut butter
–a spoonful of cocoa powder
–a spoonful of coconut oil
–1 frozen banana
-vanilla yogurt

yum!
XO

do you have green smoothies?
what do you put in yours?

'green smoothie + healthy shake' has 23 comments

1. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 3:51 pm B

that sounds like a very healthy breakfast. are those the proportions you use for two smoothies? where did you get your blender bottles?

May 21, 2013 @ 3:58 pm emi

hi! yep, i split that into 2 smoothies, but i could drink it all myself because it’s so good haha. we got our blender bottles just at bed bath & beyond because i randomly saw them there, but i see them for sale at the gym, grocery stores, all over! you could also definitely order them online. we love them! xo

2. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 4:28 pm Monica P

Green smoothies are becoming my fav drink! I love how you add a carrot.

Monica

3. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 4:55 pm Unknown

What kind of blender are you using/ I’m concerned my run of the mill blender won’t take kindly to a carrot!

May 21, 2013 @ 5:02 pm emi

you’re right! i didn’t mention we are lucky to have the best blender in the world, a blendtec. we got it as a wedding gift, but i really recommend it! it blends everything! if you’re worried, chop up the carrots into small pieces maybe and run it a few times? xoxo

4. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 6:39 pm The Indie

I love green smoothies! Any tips to make them thicker? I’ve found that since I cut out yogurt in mine, they seem a little watery

May 21, 2013 @ 7:05 pm emi

yes! i cut out greek yogurt too, so i put a bunch of ice cubes and oatmeal to make them thicker. i also occasionally add unsweetened applesauce to add that texture! hope that helps! we love when they are thicker too! XO

5. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 9:31 pm Mara and Jae

it wouldn’t let me watch your video right now :( i’ll have to try again later. anyway, that all sounds yum! i’m usually a fruit smoothie maker/drinker, with some spinach snuck in cuz Jae is picky about spinach, but i’ll have to try the all-green take :) thanks dear! xo.

6. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 10:50 pm Sarah Shumate

Oh wow! That is one healthy smoothie! Like a days worth of fruits and veggies! My smoothies are really simple and not nearly as healthy – I just throw in 5-6 strawberries, a banana, and greek yogurt and call it a day! I’m not up for adding veggies to mine yet!

May 22, 2013 @ 3:20 am emi

haha with all the good fruit, you can hardly taste the veggies– try it out! trust me!

7. Avatar

May 21, 2013 @ 11:20 pm Lisa Harvey

Leafy greens are not my friend, so no green smoothies for me. I’m not a huge smoothie person in general, but I’m more about plain ole fruit smoothies.

8. Avatar

May 22, 2013 @ 12:06 am lost in travels

green smoothies have been a favorite of mine for dinner lately! fills me up and it great even late at night! i put banana, spinach, chia seeds, whey protein, yogurt, a bit of water and some strawberries in mine! delicious!

May 22, 2013 @ 3:20 am emi

for dinner–nice! you are so healthy! XO

9. Avatar

May 22, 2013 @ 1:51 am Living in Another Language

I’m pretty much a green smoothie-aholic. Thanks for the yummy dessert smoothie option! My FAVORITE smoothie lately has been spinach, grapefruit, blueberries, strawberries, banana, chia seeds, banana, kiwi, and a dash of coconut water. YUM!

-Amanda | Living in Another Language

May 22, 2013 @ 3:19 am emi

YUM! i love the idea of grapefruit in it, i’ll have to try it! xo

10. Avatar

May 22, 2013 @ 3:38 am Jane Harman

i loooove green smoothies. i just wish the blender would wash itself. :)

11. Avatar

May 22, 2013 @ 7:10 pm Kelsi

Em, have you tried juicing at all? It seems like you would love it.

May 22, 2013 @ 7:11 pm Kelsi

Though, it is a LOT more cleanup than a blender.

12. Avatar

May 30, 2013 @ 3:45 pm Ashley R

This is my breakfast too. Great tip with the oatmeal!

13. Avatar

September 7, 2013 @ 9:16 am Someone Critique

Interesting article. Nonetheless I must claim you might generate monies this blog to help generate much exposure.
    Green drink

14. Avatar

September 15, 2013 @ 6:40 pm Kelsey Eaton

So yummy. Sometimes we put beets or beet greens in ours if we have them from the garden. Very strong but I kind of like the earthy taste. Haha!

15. Avatar

March 19, 2014 @ 1:35 am Cleo Rogers

I came across your blog somewhat randomly and am so glad I did! I’ve looked everywhere for a super food recipe that didn’t require spirulina or a bunch of strange stuff I don’t have on hand, and I’m off to the kitchen to try this this very minute!
    medical transportation tampa click here

16. Avatar

July 1, 2016 @ 5:41 am Andrea C. Munoz

Oh, nooo, that’s rubbish! Just drink juice made by juicer for greens comparison and you won’t need something like this dietary supplement!

well-traveled wife © 2018. all rights reserved.