guide to seattle

we spent a short time in seattle last month,
and we definitely fell for the city! who wouldn’t! considering there are so many things to do in Seattle, there’s something here for everyone. even if you’ve never been here before, exploring is something worth doing. you never know what you may find and that’s the exciting part of it all. if you yourself live in Seattle and you’re looking to relocate (but why?!) it may be important to note IwillBuyHouse.com gives cash for homes in Seattle.

we lucked out and had amazing, sunny, clear weather,
but i happen to be a big fan of rain too…so i think

i would like it no matter when i went!
even though we just spent a short time there, we packed it in
and saw a lot. here is a guide of our favorite things..
plus a few we’ve heard rave reviews about!
______________________________________________
guide to seattle

PIKE PLACE MARKET
. .first things first. .
we are food lovers AND we are obsessed with farmer’s markets,
so this was obviously our favorite part of seattle. we went on the
seattle bites food tour which took us all through the market, told us
about the history of it, and let us sample lots of different spots in it.
it was a bit pricey with only small samples at places, but with crunched
timing it helped us see the best and get a good “tase” … literally!
here are some of our favorites in pike place:
  • daily dozen donut company…hot mini donuts. i’m not even a big donut fan, and i could have had 5 bags of these! nicest people, and yummiest fresh mini donuts. mmm!
  • pike place fish market…this place has fresh fish that you can order and have them ship home for you, but even more fun is that every time someone orders, they yell out the order and someone grabs the big fish and tosses it through the air to the cash register. they are famous for their training video, so lots of people know about them & gather around to watch.
  • tacos at los agaves
  • saffron spice…best food cart, get the tikka masala
  • pike place chowder: famous for winning best chowder in the nation!
  • crepe de france..can’t ever pass up a good crepe place, and this one is tiny, crowded with locals, and delicious. they have savory + sweet ones, and we loved both!
  • beecher’s handmade cheese {get the classic mac & cheese, it’s oprah’s favorite!}
    those were the food winners in pike place..now for other favorites:
this is right under pike place, and it is gross but fun to see..come prepared with your own gum to chew, blow a bubble, and then add to the wall!
with so many starbucks stores in this world, it’s fun to see the original!
tells the story of seattle’s role in the gold rush.
one of the best + most unique restaurants! get the pesto lasagna.
yummy pizza place owned by tom douglas.
the best bakery in the city. can’t beat it!
we got a little glimpse of the “SAM” since we did a tour which started here, and although it’s not the most amazing museum i’ve been to, it was fun to stop by, and some great exhibits go through there… plus, it doesn’t hurt that the restaurant inside is amazing. taste is delicious, and all of the food they use is LOCAL {a lot of it even comes from pike place market down the street!}
best view of the city!
be sure to go down to the waterfront arcades & park. if it’s a clear day, you can see mt. rainier and it’s breathtakingly beautiful!
cute cookie shop…get a few chipettes to snack on!
great mall right in the best shopping area..also don’t miss the flagship nordstrom!!!
the classic, recognizable structure. you can eat at the restaurant on top as you take in the view.
lake union is beautiful, and you can look back on the city from it. i won’t lie, i mostly went here because i wanted to see the house right on the water from one of my favorite movies, sleepless in seattle. if you’re a fan, go walk down the dock and check it out at 2460 westlake avenue north.
if not, you should still go see the lake!

other seattle spots to remember:

• high 5 pie
  • mighty o’s doughnuts
  • serious pie (and any tom douglas restaurant)
  • homegrown {local sandwich shop, a few locations}
  • saley cafe
  • cupcake royale
  • frost doughnuts
  • molly moon’s ice cream
  • la carta de oaxaca for dinner
  • lunchbox laboratory
  • crab pot
  • biscuit bi*** (cafe lieto)
  • top pot doughnuts
  • lincoln park
  • archie mcphee
  • green lake park
  • ballard fish ladder
  • sweet lo’s ice cream
  • honeyhole sandos
  • salty’s
  • the pie bar
  • paso carribbean restaurant
  • portage bay cafe
thanks for letting us visit, seattle!
we will be back again soon.
*see our first seattle visit + video here*
and our more recent visit here!
XO

any other seattle tips? comment below!!

'guide to seattle' has 20 comments

1. March 11, 2013 @ 8:57 pm JanM ♥

Ah! I love Seattle too! If you have not yet, you should try Locks Tour too! All the boat houses were just so pretty!

xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com

2. March 11, 2013 @ 9:41 pm Jen

I would love to visit Seattle someday! Great guide. :)

3. March 11, 2013 @ 11:34 pm Elsha

Every time I’ve been to Seattle it has been beautiful, clear weather and no one believes me! There are some great places on your list, and many on my Bucket List!

When Mine Became Ours

4. March 12, 2013 @ 12:47 am KrystennMarie

I actually lived in Washington! Some of the places you mentioned were some of my favorites to visit (: Also, I really like the new name!

5. March 12, 2013 @ 2:01 am Kirsten Wiemer

i’ve always wanted to go to seattle.
    maybe one day.
    especially now that we will be closer living in sf.

K

6. March 12, 2013 @ 2:03 am Alice

Seattle looks like a lot of fun. And I must say your guide to San Francisco came in very handy when I went there recently! x

• March 12, 2013 @ 3:26 pm emi

ahh i am so glad to hear that! hope you loved sf! xo

7. March 12, 2013 @ 2:29 am Katie Foster

Seattle! My home! One time I dared my friend to eat a piece of gum off the wall and she did! She goes “it tastes fruity” hahah GROSS!

8. March 12, 2013 @ 5:25 am Anonymous

Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to look it over.

I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and great design.

Here is my page: http://www.gridnet.tv

9. March 12, 2013 @ 6:52 am Andrea @ Mostly Happenstance

I live so close to Lincoln Park! Seattle is gorgeous, I’m so glad you had a great time visiting :)

10. March 12, 2013 @ 3:38 pm Simply Evani

I love Seattle! I have so many unwritten posts about Seattle because we did so much and I loved ALL the food. Great suggestions!

11. March 12, 2013 @ 4:35 pm carrieburke

I once did a project on Seattle in the 4th grade and ever since then I’ve been dying to go! And your post makes me want to go even more now! It’s sounds like such an amazing place and I really hope I get to go sometime soon (:

– Carrie

12. March 12, 2013 @ 4:56 pm Jane

I’ve been to Seattle once and got a chance to go to Pike’s Place Market. I loooved it there!

13. March 12, 2013 @ 5:31 pm the lovebirds

I love your cute new blog header! Although, it may not be that new, because I haven’t been “active” in the blogging world for what feels like forever- regardless, I love it! I am jealous of your trip to seattle! I told Joel we must take Highway 1 all the way up there one day- it is on my bucket list! Love you cute girl! Let’s plan a get together soon! xoxo

14. March 12, 2013 @ 6:19 pm Meg {henninglove}

my brother goes to college in seattle and he is graduating in june and we will be up there for his graduation! i love seattle have been there a few times but my husband hasn’t. my mom raves about molly moon’s ice cream thanks for this guide, looking forward to june already!

15. March 12, 2013 @ 6:40 pm Jamie Sefcik

I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle! I’ll have to remember this list for when I do. Thanks for the recommendations :)

xoxo Jamie

16. March 13, 2013 @ 4:28 am Sara SHOEmaker

I would Love to be able to travel often! I bet you’re a pro packer huh :) my hubby lived in washington for a couple years and loved it. I have always wanted to go to Seattle, looks like you had a blast! Everyone tells me about Pike Market, it looks awesome

The House of Shoes

17. March 13, 2013 @ 11:42 pm Issie's Vision

Wow.. i love your blog as i love travelling and am just a bit jealous.lol. and i would love it if we could follow each other. I am following you now and look forward to hearing from you.

Issie xox

18. April 3, 2015 @ 6:00 am adidas rn 88387 ca 40312 shirt

Excellent article! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our site.
    Keep up the great writing.

19. April 15, 2016 @ 1:47 pm Fromgrapevine

Great suggestions!
    Checkout theses less frequently visited (hidden gems) beautiful places in Seattle and nearby.

well-traveled wife © 2018. all rights reserved.