PCH road trip

hello! we are back from our road trip down the pacific coast highway!
we can’t stop talking about how much we loved it. it’s definitely something
that everyone should do at least once! here is a little recap {and guide}..

• pacific coast highway road trip guide!

route:
since we already live in the bay, we started down in monterey. our route included:
monterey
cayucos
morro bay
san luis obisbo
pismo beach
santa barbara
los angeles

we discovered some of the best stops along the way, from amazing views
to yummy treats to charming towns. here is our roadtrip in pictures:

monterey is too charming! be sure to stop by cannery row in the historic district for shopping and
lunch//dinner. bike or walk out along the coastal path and take in the views of the ocean + the incredible
houses there! also..the aquarium is truly the best i’ve seen. make sure you have ample time to explore if you go!
we caught monterey on a rainy day which made it even better this time. we could have spent
all day there! luckily we live close enough to it that we can come back again and again.

we are always on the search for the best pad thai, so we tried out pacific thai cuisine in monterey before heading
to carmel for the night. their pad thai was good because it was a little sweeter than usual. i’d say 7.5/10
the next morning we left carmel and started down the real drive…it was breathtaking!
i’ll warn you right now that there are lots of pictures and they do not do it justice.
bixby bridge was husband’s favorite part. he is a bridge lover and this one was spectacular!

big sur was incredible and the forest trees are so tall. we want to come back and camp here..
and run the famous big sur marathon along here!

tall trees + amazing windy roads..
we were feeling lucky to have a prius when we saw these crazy gas prices!!
this was me a majority of the time
we got out and took a path to this waterfall lookout..if you look close
you can see the waterfall behind us {to the right} streaming into the gorgeous teal ocean!
later we stopped at piedras blancas beach to see the famous elephant seals that are always here.
these elephant seals are huge and white and i loved them and wanted to take one home for a pet.

the hearst castle is something i’ve always wanted to see, and it was amazing!
definitely worth it if you have extra time, but if you’re in a rush i wouldn’t
recommend it, because you need time to make it worth it and it’s a few hours.

after hearst castle, we loved discovering the darling town of cambria…
maybe because we had the best lunch ever here!

we saved our appetites for dessert and more yummy food we knew was coming on the way.
cayucos was another fun beach town that we couldn’t get enough of! there were even
people riding horses just in the middle of the street..love small towns like this one.
the amazing ocean view coming into cayucos
we were told to come to la parisienne for a chocolate-almond croissant, and we are glad we did!
san luis obisbo was a fun college town to see..we especially loved it since some of our
best friends in the bay went to school here at cal poly so we knew of all the good places to check out!

one of our last stops before cutting back from santa barbara to los angeles was
pismo beach. we LOVE this place! the best little hidden gem of a beach town.
plus, we had the best clam chowder in the whole entire world here {not exaggerating!}

everyone put it on your list to try a clam chowder bread bowl from splash cafe..
it is unlike any other! creamiest, yummiest chowder + grilled bread bowl= heaven.
husband’s exact quote was: “i feel like i’m eating a grilled cheese with clam chowder in it.”

…since we had been to solvang and santa barbara many times, we didn’t stop this time..but we recommend both!
see our visit to the little danish town of solvang here, and santa barbara here!

we love you, pacific coast highway.
thanks for the best memory!

XO

'PCH road trip' has 30 comments

1. October 15, 2012 @ 7:07 pm Amanda Schroeder

Yeahhh that definitely looks like an awesome adventure and some FABULOUS memories! I’m jealous. And can’t wait for my next vacation with my husband.

amanda @ we and serendipity

2. October 15, 2012 @ 7:50 pm Emily

New follower! Love your pics! Looks like such a fun trip!

3. October 15, 2012 @ 7:51 pm JanM ♥

It looks soooo fun! Wish we could do this too! :)

xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com

4. October 15, 2012 @ 8:13 pm Meg {henninglove}

i love love love this post!! a trip on pch is always a must especially as a couple so you can get out and do whatever you want. i lived in monterey and it was so cute and quaint. then my aunt and uncle and two cousins lived in cayucos and my cousin and i would always ride our bikes to downtown cayucos and then splashes cafe is a must! my husband is from that area, santa maria specifically!

5. October 15, 2012 @ 8:54 pm Recently Roached

Wow! This looks like a fun and beautiful trip! :) I’ve never been, but this definitely makes me want to!

I just discovered your blog, and I totally am creeping on you. Your “about me” is adorable. My hubs gets me lemon water, too. :)

6. October 15, 2012 @ 9:13 pm Sweat Is My Sanity

That’s such a great idea, never thought of doing that. Love all your pics.

7. October 15, 2012 @ 9:20 pm Ashley

What beautiful photos?!! This Mississippi girl would love a trip like that! I’ve been to San Fran and loved it! Hope to return to Cali for a visit again one day! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Have a great day!! http://itsthelittlethings-ash.blogspot.com

• October 16, 2012 @ 3:20 pm Emi

yes you have to come back to SF and do this trip down to LA! it’s the best…but we love the south too!! my husband lived in alabama so maybe our next visit should include mississippi! xo

8. October 15, 2012 @ 9:40 pm his little lady

All of these pictures are absolutely beautiful! What great locations! :)
    xo TJ

9. October 15, 2012 @ 10:07 pm Courtney

Those gas prices are astronomical!!

Looks like a beautiful and fun trip =)

10. October 15, 2012 @ 10:48 pm Jacqueline Newton

I love this post so much!!
    We have a beach house in Pismo Beach and don’t go nearly enough.
    San Luis Obispo still has my heart tho.

• October 16, 2012 @ 3:21 pm Emi

we are so envious that you have a beach house in pismo…we adored it! and san luis obispo is so darling too. we will be back!

11. October 15, 2012 @ 10:57 pm peachycoral

Seems like you had a great time! Good pictures :)

xoxo

12. October 15, 2012 @ 11:14 pm dilloftheday

I just found your blog & I cannot get enough it. SO CUTE!

13. October 15, 2012 @ 11:17 pm noire

Nice route and even better photos!!! Thanks a lot for sharing, glad you had a great time xx

14. October 15, 2012 @ 11:32 pm Mary Staples

We honeymooned in Carmel/Monterey. May by our favorite place on earth. What fun roadie.

15. October 15, 2012 @ 11:34 pm Jenessa

That looks like a fabulous trip! I’ll definitely have to put that on my to do list. Thanks for sharing!!

16. October 16, 2012 @ 12:15 am SarahJane Miller

Looks like you two had a blast!! I wish Dave could have a weekend off from crazy studies so we could do something like this along the Florida coast! Glad you had fun!!

17. October 16, 2012 @ 12:22 am careyellen

Next time you are near Carmel, you should check out our cousin Deamer’s restaurant – Pajaro Street Grill. Pajaro Street Bar & Grill, Salinas Ca
    psgrill.net/
    I’m sure he’d love to fix you something wonderful!

• October 16, 2012 @ 3:24 pm Emi

carey i had no idea deamer was in carmel! we will have to go for sure..and we have to get up to portland soon to see you! xoxo

18. October 16, 2012 @ 12:25 am Denise

You are the cutest! The only place on your list I’ve been to is Pismo Beach! I’m beyond jealous of your little road trip, it all looks so gorgeous!!
    I’m glad we’re bloggy friends now :)

19. October 16, 2012 @ 12:25 am Denise

P.S. those gas prices are ridiculous!!!

20. October 16, 2012 @ 12:58 am audrinajulia

Those are great photos! What a great way to bond together when you still don’t have kids on the loose, perfect moment and a great memories to look back.

Thanks for dropping by dear, hope you keep in touch!Have a great week ahead.:)

audrinajulia.blogspot.com

21. October 16, 2012 @ 3:15 pm ginger

lets meet in the middle one day! but first we need a to get ourselves a prius by the looks of those gas prices. maybe, after christmas?

what a fun little trip! looking forward to the LA picts.

22. October 16, 2012 @ 4:41 pm Chelsey

such a fun trip!! I love driving on the PCH, nothing beats that view. We need to drive up to San fran cause we have only flown! Can’t believe we didn’t run into you at the U game:)

23. October 17, 2012 @ 10:17 pm mrs. drage

oh my gosh you guys, what a fun road trip! This has always been on my to-do list, I am so glad you took the opporunity to do this! Can’t wait to see you guys in a month, love ya!

• October 18, 2012 @ 12:06 am Emi

you have to bring blake’s mercedes and come do it!! PS we can’t wait to see europe pictures!!

24. August 7, 2013 @ 7:03 pm Unknown

We are about to go on our honeymoon road trip down PCH. How many days did this route take you?

• August 7, 2013 @ 7:13 pm emi

hi! we were headed to an event in LA, so we did in in just 2 days..you could make it longer depending on what you want to do and see! email me if you have more questions, what a fun honeymoon idea! XO

25. June 3, 2014 @ 9:48 am Debbie

Lovel photos, great trip! xx http://debsbug.blogspot.gr

well-traveled wife © 2018. all rights reserved.